There’s lots of advice around on ways to super-power your porridge. After lots of experiments I’ve gone with a fairly simple porridge base and lots of colourful toppings. It’s packed with flavour and tastes amazing too. If, like me you often have a smoothie for breakfast, this can be a good brunch or light lunch too!
Ingredients, serves 2:
- 1 cup of oats or oat bran.
- 2 cups of liquid (e.g. coconut milk, water, almond milk).
- 1/2 a courgette – grated (optional).
- 1/2 teaspoon each of ground ginger, turmeric and cinnamon (optional).
- Combine the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for around 5 minutes until thick.
- Pour into 2 bowls
- Top with your choice of toppings – here are some of my favourites:
- Cacao nibs
- Maca powder
- Goji berries
- Toasted sunflower & pumpkin seeds
- Coconut flakes
- Ground flaxseed
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
Some of the benefits:
- Oat bran: A stomach surgeon who operated on my mother some years ago said that oat bran was the one food he would recommend everyone to eat regularly. He said that oat bran literally plucks old debris from your gut wall as it passes through, preventing the build up of toxins. Kind of like a digestive spring clean!
- Goji berries – a true super food, they contain 18 kinds of amino acids and are full of vitamins and minerals.
- Flax – contains omega 3 fats, as well as being a great source of dietary fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals.
To make it at work or away from home:
- Put the base ingredients in a sealed container and your toppings in a little tub or jar.
- When you’re ready to eat, pour hot water over the porridge base, stir and leave for 3 minutes.
- Once ready, top with your superfood treats and enjoy!
- If you’re doing it regularly, you could keep a bottle of maple syrup and some of the toppings in your desk.