The Stove Top Espresso maker (also known as a moka pot) is a quick and easy way to make great coffee at home.
To get started you need:
- A Stove Top Espresso Maker.
- Coffee beans. Either buy them ground medium fine or, if you have a grinder, do it at home.
- A stove - check what stove your pot can be used on. (The pots we sell work with gas, electric, ceramic & halogen hobs.)
You can buy great coffee on Em & Nick's website, we don't sell ovens!
Getting to Know Your Espresso Pot:
A stove top espresso maker generally has three parts (shown left to right):
- The bottom chamber - where you put the water.
- The coffee basket - which holds the ground coffee.
- The top chamber - which collects the brewed coffee.
- Unscrew the coffee pot so that the top and bottom chambers are separate and remove the basket from the bottom chamber (as shown above).
- Fill the base with water and replace the basket. The water should touch but not fill the basket.
- Fill the basket with ground coffee up to the top (less for a weaker coffee).
- Screw the top chamber back on and gently heat the pot on the stove, making sure that the flames stay under the pot and don't melt the handle!
- As the pot heats, steam pressure will build and the coffee will filter up through the filter funnel under the basket into the top chamber, making a gurgling sound.
- When you hear this gurgling sound begin, take the pot off the heat.
- Once the gurgling stops, the top chamber is full of coffee and it's ready to drink.
- Enjoy short and black or add hot water or hot milk for a longer drink.
- Pre-heat your water to prevent the espresso pot from over-heating and burning the coffee.
- Experiment with different volumes of coffee and water to see how it affects the flavour.
Fancy having a go? You can buy the coffee and espresso maker on our website. Let us know how it goes.